1. When you come together…
Before we go any further, just a reminder what’s different about our meetings.
- We are accommodating a FLOW and a PRESENCE
- We want everyone to be very free yet not to a point of grieving the Holy Spirit
1 Cor. 14:26 When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
2. Spiritual defilement
Now let’s talk about defilement first. Demons are also referred to as “unclean spirits”. Uncleanness or defilement has two sides:
- Sin and the culture of sin
- Unclean spirits
Spiritual defilement is never passive. As we have already seen, sin is referred to as something that almost has a personality of its own. This is not uncommon in the Scriptures.
Gen. 4:6 Then the Lord said to Cain, Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.
- crouching: heb. rabats; a prim. root; stretch oneself out, lie down, lie stretched out: Sin is reaching out, it’s trying to take over.
- desire: h8669. heb. teshuqah; from an unused word; a longing: desire. Desire means also possessiveness.
- master: h4910. heb. mashal; a prim. root; to rule, have dominion, reign:–
- dominion (1), gain control (1), govern (1), had charge (1), have authority (1), master (1), obtain dominion (1), really going to rule (1), rule (27), ruled (5), ruler (18), ruler’s (2), rulers (6), rules (9), ruling (3), wielded (1).
3. Sanctification is intentional
2 Cor. 7:1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
Heb. 2:11 For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren,
Sanctification is our response to the work of the Holy Spirit in us:
- repentance from sin, deliverance from demons, renunciation of sinful lifestyle and the culture of sin.
- Early believers went on to actually publicly BURN artifacts associated with sin & demons.
Acts 19:19 And many of those who practiced magic brought their books together and began burning them in the sight of everyone; and they counted up the price of them and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. 20 So the word of the Lord was growing mightily and prevailing.
In the next teaching we will go deeper into holiness and sanctification and what this involves.